The Argiro Student Center is across the street from the Computer Science building (McLaughlin Building).
Before applying, please carefully read all requirements below. Admission requirements are subject to change.
Upon arrival, all students are tested to confirm that they meet the entrance requirements as per their application materials. If they are unable to demonstrate their stated level, they will be deferred until they can remedy these deficiencies.
There are three main areas of requirements:
Please read all requirement details carefully.
If you meet the admissions requirements, please apply online. There is no application fee required at this stage.
If you are unsure whether you meet the above requirements, you may still apply online and we will be happy to review your application and let you know if you qualify.
A. You must possess an undergraduate (Bachelor's) degree in Computer Science or a related field from an accredited college, university, or institute.
- A 4-year degree is the standard minimum requirement.
- Candidates with a 3-year degree will be considered for acceptance only if they have a minimum of 3 years of verifiable paid professional IT experience, and a high grade average in prerequisite computer science courses.
B. Your degree should include courses in the main areas of study typical to a computer science degree, including:
Computer Programming and Software Design
- Object Oriented Programming
- Fundamentals of programming: variables, loops, conditionals, blocks, functions, arrays, pointers/references.
Programming Languages or Compilers
- Basic concepts and definitions of programming languages, Binding, scope, lifetime, argument passing
- Pointers, references, values, expressions, declarations
- Stacks & queues
- Linked lists, trees & graphs
- Hash tables
Computer System Architecture and Organization
Systems Programming or Operating Systems
In some cases, professional experience may be substituted for academic courses if the applicant has gained sufficient knowledge of the subject.
Applicants who fulfill all other entry requirements, but are lacking current knowledge of programming and ObjectOriented (OO) software methods may enter the Preparatory Track. This track is NOT a substitute for the full coverage of these topics which the students are expected to have completed during undergraduate courses.
C. A high grade average (or percentage) in your previous computer science courses is required.
Generally, we require a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.7 out of 4.0 as one of the requirements for acceptance. GPA alone, however, is not sufficient for acceptance, since significant work experience, good English skills, technical test scores, GRE scores (when provided), strong recommendations, interview results, and an appropriate 4-year bachelors degree are also factored into the decision.
All international applicants are interviewed (by telephone or in person) to assess their English fluency. Here are the criteria used in the assessment:
- You need to speak English well enough to be understood by the listener without difficulty. An accent is acceptable if it does not prevent the listener from easily understanding you. A few minor errors in speech are permissible.
- You need to understand English when it is spoken to you in a normal conversational speed.
- You need to read and write English with little or no difficulty.
If you do not yet have the level of English proficiency described above, you are encouraged to obtain intensive English training from Americans (or other native English-speaking instructors) in your home country before applying. It is important that you select a school or teacher with a very good reputation for improving spoken English skills.
For those who need some English improvement, we have additional help available after classes several days a week.
Applicants are not required to take GRE for admission to our program, but we strongly encourage them to take it. A high GRE score may decrease the amount you are expected to pay upon enrollment. Also, taking the GRE increases the likelihood of obtaining a student visa for our program. A GRE score is a good way to indicate your overall strength, and even if it is not required, it will be an asset to your application.
Information on TOEFL is available at http://www.toefl.org.
Information on GRE is available at http://www.gre.org.
There is no age restriction for this program. We do not discriminate based on age.